|This section is under construction
but remember this important adage: Time is the crucial component to wise
Learn how to maximize your
return with certificates of deposit (CD's) using a
strategy called CD Laddering. An alternative to investing in
a CD is a Ginnie Mae Mortgage Backed Security.
To learn more
about investing, check out the following excellent websites.
101 - lessons that help you invest, save, borrow and spend more wisely.
Vanguard Group: Education, Planning & Advice - excellent lessons
& resources from a highly respected mutual fund company.
Angeles Times Investing 101 - a series of lessons on investing, budgeting,
insurance, retiring and estate planning.
- an investment company with information on retirement, investing, Social
Security and health care. To directly find educational information
go to the TIAA-CREF
Brinker - an investment manager and host of the radio show MoneyTalk.
Lots of directly useful advice and educational information on investing.
American Savings Education Council (ASEC) - a coalition of private
and public sector institutions - undertakes initiatives to raise public
awareness about what is needed to ensure long-term personal financial independence.
ASEC's goal is to make saving and planning a vital concern of Americans
and in the economic interests of employers.
Other Useful Links for Saving
- a governmental agency concerned with the stability of and public
confidence in the nation's financial system. Their mission is to
insure deposits and promote safe and sound banking practices.
Bank Data - searchable databases allow users to find institutions and
their branches in order to determine their status as insured depository
institutions, their financial condition and their condition relative to
- the online counter part to the highly useful finance tracking software,
Quicken (which I recommend). Use this site to search
for and learn about specific stocks, mutual funds, insurance, home loans,
financial news, some bill paying and banking services.
- Google Advisor - makes it easy to find financial offers from multiple providers, compare them side by side, and apply online.
Finance - Business & Market news, stock research, educational tools,
personal financial tools like online bill paying, savings finder, loan,
insurance and tax help.
- find the best rates for CD's, Auto & Home Loans, and credit cards;
along with other valuable information and many useful financial calculators.
- offers a five star rating system on the health of financial institions.
Star - stock market data and a five star rating system for mutual funds.
- dozens of useful online financial calculators (be patient, the pages
- over 100 personal finance calculators.